Sunday, July 20, 2008

Behind the Song

Music has always been an integral part of my life; I am at best a frustrated musician, but I dearly love to listen, admire, and soak it in, and find myself more often than not in conversation with God while I listen.

Anyone who has a child is always moved by hearing Billy Joel's "The Lullaby." You might be even more moved when you know the story behind the song:



Goodnight my angel, time to close your eyes,
And save these questions for another day.
I think I know what you've been asking me,
I think you know what I've been trying to say.
I promised I would never leave you,
Then you should always know
Wherever you may go, no matter where you are
I never will be far away.

Goodnight my angel, now it's time to sleep,
And still so many things I want to say.
Remember all the songs you sang for me,
When we went sailing on an emerald bay.
And like a boat out on the ocean,
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark and deep, inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me.

(Humming)

Goodnight my angel, now it's time to dream,
And dream how wonderful your life will be.
Someday your child may cry, and if you sing this lullaby,
Then in your heart there will always be a part of me.
Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabys go on and on
They never die
That's how you and I will be.


Every song has a story. Here's to praying that we might always be willing to tell our story.

Pax,
Sky+

1 comment:

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Hmmm. How many chapters to reveal at a time? Therein lies the difficult part.