Friday, February 15, 2008

Patience - A Virtue and a Necessity


This is my car - a 1991 BMW 325i. When I bought it, I had intentions of it just being a beater car, cheap but dependable transportation. The more I've messed with it, tho, I've found out that the two owners before me took pretty good care of it. So while I wouldn't give it classic status, it really doesn't look bad. It drives like a dream (goes way too fast and corners like a Porsche), and will be the closest that this preacher ever comes to driving a luxury sports car. It was a steal for what I paid for it, and still a steal even considering the money (a little over a $1000) I've put in it to restore it. Much cheaper than car payments in this day and age - all my vehicles are paid for!!!

One of the reasons I bought the car was to tinker with something. It's an old hobby I've always enjoyed (I have a '93 motorcycle too). But, just like any hobby or endeavor, nothing is ever perfect or peachy.

I've got a hesitation problem in the engine, but only when it's warm. So, I've spent about 20 minutes a day trying to eliminate problems one by one. So far, no luck.

I've put in new plugs and plug wires. Replaced the oxygen sensor. Cleaned and tested the idle control valve. Checked and rechecked vacuum lines. Checked the catalytic converter. Sprayed carb cleaner around areas to check for good seals. There are still plenty of other things left to check: air flow meter, thermo-time switch sensor, engine timing, knock retard sensor. I'm praying it's not a bad ECM (computer). Yes, the car's old, but it does have a computer - and they aren't cheap. If I don't have any luck in a few days, I'll give in and go to a real mechanic.

However, I know that, just like me, he'll have to be patient. These problems rarely fix themselves - they need time, examination, and discernment. Sometimes, there is no quick fix (even when you hook up the diagnostics to the computer!). Bet you know where I'm going with this now...

Lenten disciplines call for patience. Hearing what God might be saying to us requires patience. And working with others, in making disciples and doing Kingdom work, requires patience. We humans require some tinkering on occasion.

I found the following prayer for patience. It is a good one - and an honest one:
Gracious God, it’s so hard to wait. To wait for new things to happen in my life. To wait for you to answer my prayers. To wait for the open doors that may lead me into a new way of being. During the time of waiting, it seems that all I can think of is having what it is I am waiting for. At times I feel weary of asking and waiting, and I wonder if you really hear my prayers at all, if you are ignoring me, or if you are simply refusing to give me my heart’s desire. A part of me knows that you want my best, and that your time is not my time, but Lord, it is still so hard to wait. Deepen my trust, O Lord, during the times when my heart longs for what can only come in the fullness of time. Give me a calm assurance that your will for me is grander than anything I could ever imagine. Still my mind and heart in your love so that I am mindful of the grace you are draping around me every single day, every single moment. I ask this for the sake of your love. - ©1999-2007 explorefaith.org

In the name of the One who is patient with us, even Jesus Christ our Lord.

Pax,
Sky+

1 comment:

Deborah Sue said...

this is a prayer I need on a daily basis...thank you!

Its going somewhere I can find it...